// you’re reading...

Max Drake's OddWorld

No Pot of Gold at the End of the Rainbow

No Pot of Gold at the End of the RainbowLast week, the Orange County online news service – www.ocregister.com – posted an image of the end of a rainbow. This rarely-seen sight was captured by one Jason Erdkamp, a resident of Lake Forest, as he was driving in northeast Orange County in Southern California. Unfortunately for Mr Erdkamp, there was no pot of gold lying on the highway.

There was a flurry of activity on the website following the post, with many questioning the validity of the image. Photoshop was discussed, prompting science writer/editor Gary Robbins to gather some professional opinions. He consulted with noted photographers, a graphic designer and meteorologists who all agreed the photograph had not been manipulated.

One witty reader on the website made the comment that the lack of a pot of shiny gold meant that the photograph actually depicted the beginning of the rainbow. This, of course, is a convenient excuse for those treacherous leprechauns.

by Max Drake
(Freelance writer and artist for GritFX.)

(Source: http://www.ocregister.com)

Discussion

Comments are disallowed for this post.

1. its a sad world we live in if the end of the rainbow is anywhere in orange county.

trust me.

Posted by deryke | February 14, 2009, 5:34 pm
  2. :)

Posted by Max Drake | February 14, 2009, 6:35 pm
  3. I saw one of these when I lived in the far north, not on the road, but just off the road, and I looked, but didn’t see the pot of gold, or the lepricahn, but perhaps it wasn’t for my eyes to see. I don’t think it was photo shopped.

Posted by Shea | February 14, 2009, 11:02 pm
  4. also, thanks for posting this, is cool, and brings back unique memories to me of that rainbow we saw in Denali on a summer day that seems so long ago now

Posted by Shea | February 14, 2009, 11:04 pm
  5. I swiped the gold…

Posted by NoBS | February 14, 2009, 11:18 pm
  6. Shea – well, I’m colour-blind so I only see a small range of the colour spectrum…a rainbow usually looks bright orange to me and it’s only if I really study it can I see other colours.

NoBS – you stinkin’ thief!

Posted by Max Drake | February 14, 2009, 11:50 pm
  7. Hey! I heard that!

Posted by NoBS | February 15, 2009, 12:02 am
  8. Max,
    That’s interesting. There’s different kinds of and degrees of color blindness. The most common is the red/green one. Yours sounds unique.
    I am not color blind, but I see differently. Colors tend to be bright and vivid.
    I would think that your perception of colors would be very interesting if you did a color drawing or painting. This would prove interesting. I’d love to see how that would look. Try it, and share, if you would.

Posted by Shea | February 15, 2009, 2:39 pm
  9. Sweet rainbow…! Australia needs more rainbows instead of fire… Hey, i love you people! Bell

Posted by Bell | February 15, 2009, 2:42 pm
  10. Hey Shea…
    I always thought I was red/green colour blind, but over the years that has proven to be somewhat of a mystery…for I can’t see purple…any shade of it…very strange…

The last time I actually did a colour painting was in high school…I painted a purple sky thinking it was blue…my red was a pink…etc etc…

Since then, I only ever draw and ink in black – most of the GritFX T-Shirts that feature ink drawings are my work…I don’t know where I’d start as far as doing a colour piece…has been so long.

(It would also mean going to the art store and buying some colour utensils, as the only colour tool I have in the house here would be a blue ballpoint pen…well, I think it is blue…)

Catch ya buddy.

Posted by Max Drake | February 15, 2009, 6:14 pm
  11. Wow, that must have been a sight!

Posted by Chriss | February 15, 2009, 9:37 pm
  12. Cool post Max!

My mum’s was with a colour blind guy once… she told me that for entertainment, her and their friends would ask him to sort jelly beans into piles of colours 😉

Posted by Manz | February 15, 2009, 10:27 pm
  13. cool pic.

It does look fake.

If that rainbow is real it is awesome.

I saw a something once that was burning and falling in a corkscrew shaped trajectory, maybe it was a meteor? That was the coolest thing I have ever seen like this.

Posted by Bill Donovan | February 15, 2009, 10:36 pm
  14. Yeah, it’s the beginning, must be.

I used to ride my motorcycle down that very same road. Fascinating picture, I didn’t realize it was right around the corner from me.

Posted by Wayne | February 16, 2009, 11:57 am
  15. The word “over-analyze” comes to mind. Even a cat knows that it doesn’t matter if it’s the end or the beginning…it’s the fact that it’s a BEAUTIFUL rainbow that counts:) Extraordinary photo!!

Posted by Bruce | February 17, 2009, 5:15 am
  16. Cool! Would love to see one and stand there to take some pictures..

Posted by Cashmere | February 18, 2009, 4:46 am

Langley Parks: Soundscapes, Themes & Noise – free individual track download…

GritFX T-Shirts - MYTHOLOGY, CONSPIRACY AND ASSORTED WEIRDNESS AT MAGIC BULLET